5 Healthy foods that are actually unhealthy and makes you fat
Today the market is filled with all sorts of healthy foods as more and more people are getting health conscious and the demand for health food is increasing. The advertisers are bombarding the customers with all kinds of products promising to help you lose weight more easily just by adding their product in your diet.
Most people get influenced and overwhelmed with such promises and fall for such marketing gimmicks without having any idea if the product is actually healthy or not.
Just because the cover says that it’s fat-free, low calorie or will help you reduce weight faster doesn’t mean it’s a fact.
Here are 5 such unhealthy foods that most people believe to be healthy.
1. Whole wheat bread- The whole wheat bread may be slightly less bad compared to white bread but still it is just as unhealthy. The whole wheat bread is not actually whole wheat at all. It’s just a marketing hoax.
They are refined into fine flour and stripped of all its nutrients.
It is just as easily digestible and will spike the blood sugar as white bread.
When the researchers measured the glycemic index of whole wheat bread they found that it is almost same as the white bread.
When you are buying bread always go for 100% whole wheat or 100% whole grain bread. Anything less than that should not be acceptable.
2. Fruit juices- Popular belief is fruit juices are healthy and should be a part of your breakfast. Well! Not really. When the juice is extracted from the fruit, it doesn’t contain the same nutritional value as of that fruit.
Fruits do contain some sugar but it is bound within the fibrous cell wall slowing the release of the sugar to enter the bloodstream.
Juicing removes the skin and pulp which are the main sources of fiber and nutrients of the fruit. Without the fibrous part, the sugar will easily get absorbed thereby rapidly increasing the blood sugar of the body. Even if some pulp is added back to the juice the quality and nutrient value will not be same as the original intact fruit.
Eating a whole fruit will make you feel fuller whereas you can gulp down a lot of juice without any effect on your appetite.
Always go for whole fruits.
3. Cereals- The best way to start a day is with a healthy breakfast as it increases your metabolism, prevents craving and help you avoid binge eating. Cereals are promoted as an integral part of healthy breakfast by media and popular culture, which cannot be farther from the truth.
Most of the name brands promoted as low fat or whole grain contains a ton of sugar and quite a bit of additive and preservatives.
If you are eating these cereals just because they are advertised as healthy, you are doing a huge disservice to yourself. Advertisers don’t care about your health, they only care about your money.
Read the label before buying another box of cereals.
Your breakfast should always consist of unprocessed food that is rich protein.
Example Eggs + 100% whole grain bread+ Coffee
4. Diet Soda- Diet Soda seems to be healthy as it contains no sugar and zero calories. But there is more to it than what meets the eyes.
Brooke Alpert, RD, author of The Sugar Detox says that artificial sweeteners have more intense flavor than real sugar, so over time products like diet soda dull our senses to naturally sweet foods like fruit.
A study shows that drinking diet soda daily will increase your chances of type II diabetes by 67% and 36% increased risk of metabolic syndrome.
Regular consumption of diet soda may seem healthy but over a period of time this chemical cocktail will probably have some adverse effect on your health.
Instead of diet soda stick to good old plain water which also contains no sugar and zero calories minus the risk of any ill effect on your health.
5. Fat-free yoghurt- To the general population, seeing the label ‘Fat-Free’ is often synonymous to healthy. Yoghurt is considered healthy which it is, so the fat-free yoghurt must be healthier right?
When the fat is removed from the yoghurt the taste of the yoghurt is lost which is compensated by adding a lot of sugar, high fructose corn syrup or artificial sweeteners. The food manufacturer removes the saturated fat, which is actually not at all harmful and replace it with loads of sugar, reducing it from health food to junk food.